Re: gEDA-user: interesting links

On Aug 30, 2007, at 1:01 PM, Ben Jackson wrote:
>> At this point, there's no technical reason to avoid C++, but if one
>> chooses to migrate,
>
> ... I'd say start by redesigning the data structures!  PCB could be so
> much more "OO" even without C++.  A lot of the code would be about
> 1/20th
> the size if you could just do things like foo->Move(dx,dy) without
> having
> to worry about the type of foo.

   This is an interesting (if daunting) suggestion.  I use a few OO
concepts in a biggish commercial package that I wrote in C, and
they've given great benefits, without the bloat and glacial slowness
that is typical of so many packages written in C++.

   Specifically, I make heavy use of structs which contain
"methods" (pointers to functions), and structs which have (developer-
enforced) "hidden" members.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire