Re: gEDA-user: interesting links

On 8/30/07, Dave McGuire <mcguire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> they've given great benefits, without the bloat and glacial slowness
> that is typical of so many packages written in C++.

As much as I dislike C++, I have to defend it here: it is actually not
glacially slow.  It may be slower to compile, especially when using
templates, but runtime performance is pretty zippy.  Literally, the
slowest operation in C++ is a virtual method call, which is just an
indirect subroutine invokation through a table of function pointers.
The equivalent C code is: anObj -> vtable -> aFunction(anObj, ...);

>    Specifically, I make heavy use of structs which contain
> "methods" (pointers to functions), and structs which have (developer-
> enforced) "hidden" members.

I find that using test-driven development with C produces code which
is naturally highly modular and re-usable, and is strongly object
oriented in design.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II