Re: gEDA-user: C++ (was Re: interesting links)

On 8/30/07, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It does away with a lot of the stuff that makes C++ unwieldy (like
> > multiple inheritance).
>
> Me, I just choose not to use all that stuff :-)

Multiple inheritance of _interfaces_ is a requirement for true
type-safety in a large-scale, open-ended environment, however (I find
MI of implementations to be much less desirable).  Not being able to
attach interfaces to existing data types (that is, implementations
which are already compiled) restricts MI to the point of uselessness.
Hence, COM was invented to get a better handle on the problems facing
MI.  Unfortunately, while successful, it opened a can of worms of its
own (reference counting being one of them).

I know that Haskell allows you to extend a type's interface after the
original implementation has been compiled, and IIRC so too does
Objective-C.  More likely than not, this is the reason why Objective-C
does away with a lot of the complexity.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II