Re: gEDA-user: interesting links

Ales Hvezda wrote:

> >Nobody said there was.  But if you're going to undermine any and every
>
> 	Okay, so what is with this statement:
>
> > ... I have to cast my vote for OCaml or Haskel ...

Jeez, my original mention of Ocaml and Haskell was enclosed in
<troll> tags :-). It was meant to show that changing languages for
the sake of changing languages was silly.

I will expand on this. Taking good quality C code and converting
it into good quality C++ code is a huge task, with very poor
returns for the amount of effort. Taking good C code and turning
it into bad C++ code (ie C code compiled with a C++ compiler and
using a small number of C++ features) is a bad idea.

> 	Btw, since we are talking about OCaml and Haskel, please post a
> URL to a "non-trival real world free software" code base written in
> either one of these languages that I can evaluate.  Thanks.

For Ocaml (apart from the Ocaml compiler itself):

    LiquidSoap : audio stream generator for Internet radio stations
    http://savonet.sourceforge.net/wiki/Liquidsoap

    Peerple, a peer-to-peer app:
    http://www.peerple.net/

    The Unison file synchorniser (bit like rsync):
    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download.html

    MlDonkey
    http://www.mldonkey.org/

    Cocanwiki (a wiki engine)
    http://sandbox.merjis.com/

    An OpenPGP Key Server with reliable replication
    http://sks.sourceforge.net/

For a really serious application of Ocaml, nothing gets more serious
that what they do at Jane St Capital where they are betting seriously
huge amounts of money on the stock markets using programatic trading
software written in-house in Ocaml. For more, see the article:

    Caml Trading: Experiences in Functional Programming on Wall Street
    by Yaron Minsky

in this issue of The Monad Reader:

    http://www.haskell.org/sitewiki/images/0/03/TMR-Issue7.pdf

For Haskell the only thing I am really aware of is the Darcs revison
control system:

    http://darcs.net/

Erik