Re: gEDA-user: sparkfun 4 layer boards

Eric Brombaugh wrote:

> What sort of shorts are you seeing? I'm assuming that on a 2-layer
> board they would ordinarily be pretty easy to correct by appropriate
> use of an knife. Or are they internal/inaccessible? Is that even
> possible on a 2-layers?

You'd think they'd be easy to find.  On the board I blindly assembled,
there was a short to the ground plane somewhere.  I spent more time than
it was worth looking for it, and scraped away at a couple of suspicious
spots with an X-acto knife.  Never did isolate it.  On the second
shorted board, it was another short to the power plane somewhere.  After
I confirmed it, I just marked the board and threw it in the NFG pile.

> Eric
>
> who has one successful design through Batch PCB (3x6 board, ordered
> one copy & got two) and is waiting for another to come in the mail (5
> copies of one small board) - hopefully next week.

Good luck with that.  I've had generally good luck with BatchPCB -- the
ironic thing about this design is that I was using less aggressive
design rules than I usually do.

-dave