Re: gEDA-user: sparkfun 4 layer boards

On Aug 22, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Dave N6NZ wrote:

> Quality has been variable. Until recently I'd have said mostly
> good.  In
> an earlier order I had a bad board, but in my last batch (of 4
> designs)
> I ordered 4 copies of one design, a 48mm x 72mm 2 layer board, pretty
> simple, all through hole.  I got back 6 copies (I'm thinking "bonus!")
> but the first one I assembled had a short in it :(  I buzzed out
> another
> one and it was good so I assembled it no problem.  A friend wanted
> one,
> so I buzzed out another one and found another shorted board :(  so I
> buzzed out yet another one pretty thoroughly for shorts (but not 100%
> connectivity) and gave it to him.  He found an open trace which he had
> to jumper around.

What sort of shorts are you seeing? I'm assuming that on a 2-layer
board they would ordinarily be pretty easy to correct by appropriate
use of an knife. Or are they internal/inaccessible? Is that even
possible on a 2-layers?

Eric

who has one successful design through Batch PCB (3x6 board, ordered
one copy & got two) and is waiting for another to come in the mail (5
copies of one small board) - hopefully next week.