Re: gEDA-user: sparkfun 4 layer boards

Mark Rages wrote:

> I've had moderate success clearing blind shorts with the 5V bus of a
> high-power computer power supply.  (This can be hazardous to other
> parts on an assembled board)  Otherwise, use a current-limited power
> supply to put a few amps into the stuck node.  Use a millivolt meter
> to measure different places on it.  Lower voltage means closer to the
> short.

An IR camera to look for the hotspot would probably be a handy way to do
this too. Who's got an IR camera though?

FWIW, strange shorts can happen on high-end board mfg. lines too. I
recently had a fairly large board used in my day job start smoking after
several hours of use. Tracked it down to a power via that internally
shorted to a ground layer. Destroyed the via, carbonized the board and
de-laminated the top layer in the vicinity, but after I drilled it out,
removed debris and sealed with solder-mask touchup the board is usable
again (one-off prototype with several hundred dollars worth of fast
ADCs, so we preferred not to junk it).

Eric