Re: gEDA-user: dbus connection error

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 11:52 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> > @Peter
> > > What exactly is slow - does it take a while for the
> > > above timeout, or is PCB just slow generally?
> >
> > PCB is slow. Menus and selection seem to react slower.
>
> I wonder if the DBus code has reacted badly and started to busy-loop the
> CPU. If I can figure out a way to reproduce (deliberately break PCB's
> connection to my DBus session daemon), I'll see if I can fix that.

Ok, I can reproduce forcibly by deliberately breaking the environment
variable which points to the DBus pipe / socket, something like:

DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-vVJJ66Gnv3,guid=12345147d8879a0d00a95aea48b60bc1 pcb

(Those numbers are wrong, compared to what my environment had them at
previously.

The failure to connect occurs pretty much instantly, and PCB is no
slower than when it all works properly.

I wonder if what speed penalty you're seeing is in fact due to the
binary-only distribution. Since the binary dist ships almost all
dependant libraries, gEDA programs will be pulling in entirely different
copies of various system libraries (like GTK) which you may already
have. This makes loading slow, certainly, and depending on how much RAM
you have, might force things to swap.

If you have a .gtkrc or theme set which isn't in the binary distribution
(pretty likely), GTK might get upset. IIRC it just complains once, then
continues working - but it is possible that something broke. Try running
"strace pcb" and watching to see if it is doing anything really
frequently. (There will be gettimeofday, write, read, poll, select
calls, which should scroll past as you move the mouse over PCB).

Beware though (don't have any work open), as I managed to deadlock X11
by running strace. Had to SSH in from another computer and kill it
before I could control the computer again.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,