Re: gEDA-user: PCB file accumulation

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 15:26 -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been working with gschem and pcb for several weeks and there are a
> couple of things  that really drive me crazy.
>
> 1. Is there any way to keep the pcb.back files from ending up in my home
> directory.

They will end up in the working directory you opened PCB in, or the
directory with the .pcb file. (I can't remember which)

> 2. What is the meaning of the number sequence on the backup files.

Most likely a random number, if you mean files like PCB.00007857.save,
these are backup files saved by PCB in case of a crash.

If you mean things like:

logic-input.pcb.bak10
logic-input.pcb.bak11

... Those are backup files saved by "gsch2pcb" every time it updates
your board.

> 3. The buildup of the .pcb------- files and the .pcb.new.------ files
> becomes very confusing.

You are ALWAYS working on the ".pcb" file. gsch2pcb creates the
".new.pcb" as a helper for you to paste components into your design
which have been added in the schematics since your last gsch2pcb run.

AFAIK, the tools do not create any ".pcb.new".

>  I have to go by date and time to figure out which is the one I'm working on.

You should always be working on the ".pcb" file. The others are just
backups and temporary files for adding new components.

> In addition the date and time can shift
> if the wrong file is opened and closed.  Why not use first in last out
> instead of first in first out so that the file .pcb is the one you are
> working on.
>
> Generally gEDA is a very useful suit.

Good to hear. Hope the above points are helpful.

Out of interest, what Linux distro / gEDA version are you running - just
curious. Did you build gEDA from source, or install it via the distro's
package manager?

(gEDA version prints on the console when you start the programs from a
terminal window, PCB version prints if you start it with "pcb
--version").

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton