gEDA-user: Howto get a layout print with part numbers/values?

Is there an easy way to get a layout print similar to PCB's fab.ps but
showing the part number/value (what PCB calls the value, and doesn't
seem to use except in the BOM outputs)?  I'm thinking that something
made from the .xy file, printing those values rotated and placed would
be close enough.  The latter is probably what I'd throw together if I
needed this badly, but at this point I'm inclined to think it would
cost me time rather than save it.

(whereas asking here costs very little time, and I have too many other
chores to do while waiting to see someone knows of an easier way to do
this for that time to count at all, at all <grin>)

Thanks!

--
The avoidance of idiocy should be the primary and constant concern
of every intelligent person.  -- Nero Wolfe