Re: gEDA-user: Yet another netlister

On Aug 1, 2009, at 9:21 AM, r wrote:

> Well, I see several other problems here as well:
> 1. Guile (as a Scheme implementation) is not particularly well
> supported, this leads to "dependency hell" and missing/incomplete
> wrappers for modern libraries (like gtk2 - not really a problem for
> gnetlist but an issue for gschem and others),
> 2. Scheme being a simplistic language. Both Perl and Python come with
> regexps and easy to use and versatile container types to name a couple
> of useful features.
> 3. Scheme not being a main stream language (often misinterpreted as a
> "parentheses problem"). This makes code written in Scheme not easier
> to extend than one written in a primitive but well known language.
>
> So, from pragmatic POV, I am OK with moving from Guile to something
> more practical.

Perhaps not Guile, but we're going to have to keep Scheme around for
a long time, because all those back ends are important. It's not that
there's a lot of code in them, but they embody a great deal of
research into just what each format needs (often the product of
"reverse engineering").

And in the particular case of spice-sdb, Stuart has produced really
good documentation. Those who want to improve SPICE netlisting would
be well advised to read and understand that first.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx