Re: gEDA-user: Yet another netlister

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM, John Doty<jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Perhaps not Guile, but we're going to have to keep Scheme around for
> a long time, because all those back ends are important. It's not that
> there's a lot of code in them, but they embody a great deal of
> research into just what each format needs (often the product of
> "reverse engineering").

Fair enough. What Scheme implementation will be used?

> And in the particular case of spice-sdb, Stuart has produced really
> good documentation. Those who want to improve SPICE netlisting would
> be well advised to read and understand that first.

Thanks for your gnetlist tutorial, BTW. It was an interesting read.

Improving backends is easy (well, relatively easy). What's hard is
fixing the front-end so that it provides full design information to
back-ends (including hierarchy and parameters, of course). I also
think that the best way to do it is to implement this functionality in
Scheme (so that all front-end data structures are naturally available
to back-ends) but it is still OK to have this functionality in a
compiled core provided it doesn't hide design information from its
back-ends.

Regards,
-r.