Re: gEDA-user: placing a connector footprint "out" of a board

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 20:33:15 +0200
Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made my first PCB ever - and I did it with PCB ;)

Well done!

> I've one question. I use a 3*32pin connector and I have problems with
> placing it properly. I sized the board with the exact dimensions I
> need, but I need to have the connection side of the connector "out"
> of the board. This is not possible as far as I can see. I now made
> the board a bit bigger to have the connector placed properly. I then
> drew a brown line (component layer)  to mark where the board should
> end:

The connector you are using is the standard eurocard connector. This system
exactly specifies the place of the connector. I have this drawn as an empty
board. I use the "outline" layer to specify the board contour.

Just grab my PCB file to see what I did. It can be found here:

http://logonex.eu/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/outline/eurocard_3U/eurocard_3U.pcb?view=co

On the right side, there is a vertical line on the silk layer. There are
other crossing lines. The crossing coordinate indicates pin 1.

See this example of a complete board of mine:

http://logonex.eu/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/lbus/concentrator/if_card/pcb/if_card.pcb?view=co

Happy soldering!
Levente

--