Re: gEDA-user: can't plot time on x axis with KJWave

KURT PETERS wrote:
> [...]
>    > Subject: Re: gEDA-user: can't plot time on x axis with KJWave (Mark
>    > Johnson)
>    >
>    > KURT PETERS wrote:
>    > > > Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:05:03 -0600
>    > > > From: Mark Johnson <mrj001@xxxxxxx>
>    > > > Subject: gEDA-user: can't plot time on x axis with KJWave
>    > > > To: gEDA user mailing list <geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    > > > Message-ID: <4A7637BF.1020004@xxxxxxx>
>    > > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>    > > >
>    > > > I've been trying to get a plot of a transient analysis with KJ
>    > > Waves.
>    > > > I've gotten the analysis to run. When the "Select Axis
>    Variables"
>    > > > window appears, time is not an option under X axis. I can only
>    plot
>    > > the
>    > > > output I chose prior to the simulation - on both x- and y-axes.
>    > > > Needless to say, this doesn't help me much.
>    > > >
>    > > > I'm using version 1.1.3 of KJ Waves, recently downloaded, and
>    > > version
>    > > > 6u12 of the Java Runtime (included as part of the JDK).
>    > > >
>    > > > Can anyone help?
>    > > >
>    > > > Mark Johnson
>    > > Mark,
>    > > Can you post the first few lines (which should be in red) in your
>    > > KJWaves netlist?
>    > > What I'd be looking for is to ensure you indeed are asking ngspice
>    for
>    > > a transient analysis and what variables you're asking it to store.
>    > > Kurt
>    > >
>    > Here it is:
>    > * gnetlist -g spice-sdb -o test3h.net test3.sch
>    > .TRAN 10.0U 10.0M 10.0U 10.0U
>    > .SAVE V(Vout)
>    > .OPT NOPAGE NOMOD
>    > .WIDTH OUT=133
>    > *********************************************************
>    >
>    > I'm assuming that ngspice automatically will save the time as it
>    does
>    > for .print. I'm using rework 19 of ngspice.
>    >
>    > Mark
>    Mark,
>       I would not assume that.
>       To determine whether that's the problem, how about trying to
>    comment the '.SAVE' statement out once and see if time shows up?  It
>    might create a gargantuan file depending on how much you're
>    simulating, but I think KJWaves can handle pretty big files.
>
>       I also notice that you use the .TRAN with a start time and a TMAX
>    time.  I'm not sure you might want to use those initially.  If the
>    above doesn't give you a "time" selection, how about trying the .TRAN
>    statement with only the "typical" TSTEP and TSTOP times specified?

If I comment out the .SAVE, it does create a much larger file (almost
50Meg).  That took quite a while to load.  Now, it does not offer any
options for either the x- or the y-axis when I select "transient
analysis" on the left.  I should note that there two "transient
analyses" on the left.  One is from the one I specified through KJWaves;
the other via an include file.  It has the same .TRAN line as the first,
but includes a .PRINT, and sets some options.

Restoring the .SAVE line and changing the .TRAN line as suggested leads
to this:
* gnetlist -g spice-sdb -o test3h.net test3.sch
.TRAN 10.0U 10.0M
.SAVE V(Vout)
.OPT NOPAGE NOMOD
.WIDTH OUT=133

Now, I still don't get any options to plot for either axis.

Aha!  You did give me the clue though.  That first test made me wonder
if perhaps my .INCLUDE was interfering.  So I commented that out and it
works!

Thanks.  This should make my plotting much easier.

Mark