Re: gEDA-user: Gschem/Custom Symbol/Path

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 07:37:12 +0100, Peter TB Brett wrote:

> There is a directory where you can put custom gafrc files which will
> automatically be loaded by system-gafrc (and won't be overwritten on the
> next update).
>
>   ${prefix}/share/gEDA/gafrc.d/

>What would ${prefix} be on a debian system?

/usr; for more details about what should be installed where the policy may
help: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html; another
useful link may be FHS http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html that
tells about /usr/local: "It needs to be safe from being overwritten when
the system software is updated. ... Locally installed software must be
placed within /usr/local rather than /usr unless it is being installed to
replace or upgrade software in /usr." For me, this suggests that .debs
need to install software under /usr and when you hand-compile from source
you may decide to install it in /usr/local or /usr. On debian I wouldn't
suggest using /usr for local compiled version, as it may interfere with
the package manager, instead, removing the package and installing local
compiled version to /usr/local sounds better.

Regards,

Tibor Palinkas