Re: gEDA-user: logic analyzers, verilog, and gtkwave...

Have you heard of the free logic analyzer?
http://www.sump.org/projects/analyzer/ .  It uses a xilinx dev board
and java control software.  It has also been ported to several other
FPGA boards.  The serial interface might be simple enough for you to
use with your project.  At my last job, I used this board for
debugging SPI and I2C interfaces.

Unfortunately, the author seems to have stopped maintaining it.  The
last release was 2.5 years ago and I never heard back regarding a
patch I submitted.
-Alan