Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

Dave N6NZ wrote:
> gschem is a toy-scale tool for toy-scale projects.  It has 1980's era
> interfaces, functionality, and problems.  Most of these problems are
> well known.  Many are even well solved in other tools.
>
> Please, set your sights higher, fast-forward 2 or 3 decades, go see what
> the other guys do, and try to produce a tool that actually *is* excellent.
>
> ------------rant off---------------

John Doty was thinking of aiming high in the thread named multi-part symbol support
when he offered to help with some scheme/guile coding to keep the intended flexibility
level of gschem/gnetlist up where it is.  Kai-Martin and DJ didn't seem to care about
lost flexibility.    There's no overall performance goal the developers agree on.

So, with no one talking about high goals, I don't see such a problem in John Doty's wanting to
limit patches being applied that detract from the front-->middle-->back-end separation
of where workflows get defined.   If no one's talking high and long goals, why not think small.

John Griessen

PS  I think a windows port would be great for attracting more developers, maybe even ones that
want fancy user interfaces.  Things like layout vs. schematic cross probing...a proven boon to system design.