Re: gEDA-user: PANGO FONTS MERGED: Call for testing

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 04:46 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> Does this include inter line spacing of multi line text? Multi line text
> in the output to CUPS PDF printer is about 10% higher than on screen.
> Text height in print fits the height of the old gschem on screen.
> However, textwidth in print fits the cairo enabled screen version.

Good that you caught this, although I'm not sure what (if anything) to
do about it.

I matched the font heights as carefully as I could when making the
transition (x1.3 factor), but inter-line spacing is left to pango (and
the metrics of the font involved). I guess that doesn't quite stack up
with the inter-line spacing gEDA used to use.

Printing still uses the old code - so will show up the discrepancies
until we nail out all the bugs in cairo printing.

BTW.. my "cairo_experiment" branch does have a stab at cairo printing.

It also allows you to "copy+paste" SVGs of your selected schematic area
onto the clipboard. The only program I found so far which could paste
SVG as vector graphics is Inkscape - and that only worked intermittently
due to a bug in GTKMM!. Still.. an interesting demo which kept me amused
for some time!

I tried (and failed) to find a vector format OpenOffice could paste.
Basically it will only accept its own format for vector drawing (even
WMF/EMF paste an image when accepted via the clipboard). The converters
I found to emit the required format were variously broken - mainly with
text handling.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,