gEDA-user: pcb: back, bottom, solder, or what?

There seems to be some indifference in pcb on how to call the layers.
Mostly, it is "top/bottom", sometimes it is "component/solder" and the
gerber file names use "front/back". From teaching geda to complete newbies I
know, that this indifference adds to the confusion. Is there a reason not to
stick to a single notation, other than "it grew like this over the years"?

If I were to choose, I'd vote for "top/bottom", because kicad, protel/altium
and eagle also use this scheme. The fabs are used to it which reduces the
probability for errors. It would help new users who come one of these
packages, too.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak