gEDA-user: Method to create symbol for enhanced ICs with many pins

Hi,

I would create a schematic symbol for AT91SAM7 device: 64 pins, lots of them with multiplexed functions.

1. I can number pins round, 1 to 64 sequentially:
  + easily fit to the schematic, 4x16 pin
  + easy to create the symbol
  - no functional grouping
  - harder to understand the final schematic
  - lots of crossing wires

2. I can separate pins by functions, without keeping the pins' order:
  + logically coherent signals can wire together
  + nicer schematic, easy to understand
  - harder to achieve suitable pinout

Furthermore, since the above mentioned device has at least 3 function for 32 pins, it is more difficult to setup a suitable pin placement applying the second option.

By the way, I saw the first option in many places (for example my company also provide schematic this way).

However, since in my opinion schematic is a logical thing, I prefer the second option.

Which is the better solution?

Thx,

/sza2