Re: gEDA-user: Method to create symbol for enhanced ICs with many pins

Tamas Szabo <sza2king@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I would create a schematic symbol for AT91SAM7 device: 64 pins, lots
> of them with multiplexed functions.
>
> 1. I can number pins round, 1 to 64 sequentially:
>   + easily fit to the schematic, 4x16 pin
>   + easy to create the symbol
>   - no functional grouping
>   - harder to understand the final schematic
>   - lots of crossing wires

In my circuits the logic is mostly in the FPGA hdl, and the C-code
inside the processor.  The schematic is a preview of the pysical layout,
so I can assign pins on the schematic level for routeability, grounding,
and other physical considerations.  So I prefer option 1.

> 2. I can separate pins by functions, without keeping the pins' order:
>   + logically coherent signals can wire together
>   + nicer schematic, easy to understand
>   - harder to achieve suitable pinout

Option 3.) I'd make a symbol for each function the chip supports,
and instantiate a subset of those that I need, carefully annotating
overlaps in pin usage, so that no pin is used twice accidentally.  This
is required work for using such a chip anyway.

> Furthermore, since the above mentioned device has at least 3 function
> for 32 pins, it is more difficult to setup a suitable pin placement
> applying the second option.

> However, since in my opinion schematic is a logical thing, I prefer
> the second option.
>
> Which is the better solution?

As you said, it's a matter of preference.

--
Stephan