Re: gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

John Griessen wrote:

>> I agree with Andrew.  We should use smaller icons, no text, with a
>> tooltip containing a description and the shortcut sequence.
>
> +1
> JG

I disagree.
Smaller icons than currently become a pain on large screens.
Icons should be scalable. There is a reason why desktop managers gravitated
to vectorized icons during the past ten years. That's why pcb's current GTK
GUI looks increasingly old school these days.

I couldn't care for eye candy. But there is a usability aspect, too. The
optimum size of icons in terms of pixels depends on the size of the screen.

If the icons take too much screen real estate, the better solution would be
not to show them all all the time. General 3D drafting applications
demonstrate how to deal with literally hundreds of modes and actions and
still offer an intuitive UI. Think Autocad Inventor, SolidWorks,
Microstation and the like.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211