Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 21:08 -0700, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> I've been learning the code base and testing out new ideas, and it
> looks like I'll have to change the base HID code to support layer
> groups. So there's some more design work to run by you guys before
> I can do any "real" work:
>
> My vision is this: the current drawing area will become a tabbed drawing
> area, with each tab a different Group. Each Group is a logically connected
> subset of the PCB - so for example, you might have a power supply Group,
> a USB port Group, an amplifier Group, etc.
>
> Each Group can span multiple physical layers.

Sorry, I have some problems to understand it.

Current PCB has groups/virtual layers to divide a real copper layer, for
example to use copper layer 2 as digital and analog ground and maybe for
+1.2V power supply -- so 3 different colors and routing styles for this
copper layer are useful.

I have to admit that it was not easy for me to understand this simple
layer concept when starting with PCB years ago. (real problem was to
understand the layer dialog box...)

A much more elaborated layer system is always restricted by the real
copper layers -- copper layers are expensive, so designer will always
try to restrict the quantity, and very many copper layers make only
sense with blind and buried vias, which are again expensive.

Maybe you can give a more elaborated example showing the benefits of
your intended design -- we will need such an example anyway to teach
that concept to new users.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski