Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry, I have some problems to understand it.
>
> Current PCB has groups/virtual layers to divide a real copper layer, for
> example to use copper layer 2 as digital and analog ground and maybe for
> +1.2V power supply -- so 3 different colors and routing styles for this
> copper layer are useful.
>
> I have to admit that it was not easy for me to understand this simple
> layer concept when starting with PCB years ago. (real problem was to
> understand the layer dialog box...)
>
> A much more elaborated layer system is always restricted by the real
> copper layers -- copper layers are expensive, so designer will always
> try to restrict the quantity, and very many copper layers make only
> sense with blind and buried vias, which are again expensive.
>
> Maybe you can give a more elaborated example showing the benefits of
> your intended design -- we will need such an example anyway to teach
> that concept to new users.

First, as Peter said, my idea is essentially the opposite of the existing
layer groups system. Instead of grouping multiple PCB layers onto a single
physical layer, I'm grouping parts (which can be on many physical layers)
into discrete groups. I'm sorry for the similar naming :)

An example:
Right now I'm building a new amplifier for my bicycle. It uses a pair of
TDA7391 amplifiers as the main amp stage, each of which has a JFET preamp
for guitars. These are powered by a LT1170 DC-DC converter which steps up
a 12V alarm battery to 18V.

All of this is on the same two physical layers.

However, using my Groups proposal, I could split this up into separate
Groups as such:

  1. Power Supply. This group would have all the giant-trace routing styles
     in it, since I don't need those for anything else. It has the LT1170,
     an inductor, and all the related buffer caps and resistors.
  2. Guitar stage. This group has the JFETs and their parts, as well as the
     vias for connecting the 1/4" jacks. This would have some thin routing
     styles, since it's the only place I don't have multiple amps running
     through.
  3. Power amp stage. This has the TDA7391s and their parts, as well as the
     vias for connecting my MP3 player.

Additionally, I would be able to open the TDA7391 and LT1170 (both of which
I drew myself), as groups. Just in case I have to make changes.

When working on any one group, the others would be semi-transparent or grayed
out, so it would be clear what I was doing. Also, I wouldn't be able to select
parts from the other groups, which means that that the giant buffer cap in my
power supply will stay put when I'm trying to move traces around under it.

Also, selecting multiple things would be easier with fewer parts to
accidentally grab.

The first Group will always be the "All" group. I could go here and work
on the board exactly as I always have - with the whole board in view, as
in current versions of PCB.

Does that help?

Andrew