gEDA-user: [OT] Fluorescent tube help

Hi all,

Sorry for the OT post, I've googled this to death without finding an
answer and was hoping someone here might know.

I recently purchased an old, second-hand UV exposure box to try making
PCBs at home.  One of the tubes has started to fail and in replacing
them I have noticed something odd: the box takes two 12" 8W T5 tubes,
but has only a single 13W switch-start ballast.  I assumed that a
previous owner uprated the tubes without changing the ballast, but in
looking for a replacement I have become stuck.

I can find plenty of general information on how fluorescent tubes work,
but no specific advice on ballast selection.  Also, the way my box is
wired (two tubes in series) appears not to be common.  Here is what I've
found so far:

1. ballast choice is not just about wattage, tube diameter and length
seem also to be factors.  I don't know why.

2. two tubes can be wired in series here in the UK because of the higher
mains voltage, but the suggestion is that a special ballast might be
needed.  Again, no explanation why.

Can anyone give me some definitive answers?  Can I just use a single 16W
ballast?  Can I use a T8 ballast instead of a T5?

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@xxxxxxxxxx>