Re: gEDA-user: [OT] Fluorescent tube help

Chris Smith wrote:
I assumed that a
previous owner uprated the tubes without changing the ballast, but in
looking for a replacement I have become stuck.

I can find plenty of general information on how fluorescent tubes work,
but no specific advice on ballast selection.

2. two tubes can be wired in series here in the UK because of the higher
mains voltage, but the suggestion is that a special ballast might be
needed.

If you can get the same bulbs and it's not expensive, run them and maybe they burn out
and who cares, as long as you have some good insulation protection from the HV.

To get your ballast working I know no good design rules.

You could try DJ's UV LED methods and skip the hassle and danger?
http://www.delorie.com/pcb/uvled/

Or shop for a second hand UV tanning lamp?

Long tubes are a bad shape for exposing photomask anyway.
A point source gives better edges.  Maybe your old setup was for erasing ROMS?

John