Re: gEDA-user: land pattern generators vs. verifying footprints

John Griessen wrote:
Bert Timmerman wrote:
Hi all,

a 10000 part library operating a layout service bureau
Take a look at <http://wikicomponents.com> "The worlds first

Excuse me for having a rather pessimistic view about this site.

IMHO, this flipped "wikicomponents" coin can go just one of two ways:

Head:

It will work, a bazzillion parts get contributed by thousands of
enthousiastic contributors who will produce an error free repo of parts
data.

And then some day someone will realize that the data contributed is a
goldmine and run away with the stuff (gold).
I just read their self-projection and agree: while the site and it's service may be good, the 1. point in their list appears as a lie to me: "no one owns the data" - well, they
own the server and their data model, that are not open - they own even more:
insight into the projects of everyone really using their "My Wiki" or teamwork
facilities.

My proposal to land at the edge of the coin: for the data to be owned by everyone instead of "no one", the entire site would need to be downloadable and the design of the site be open source. All the proposed databases in here much more look like that. This and only this would insure, that any attempt to run away with the gold (by all of
a sudden increasing fees and dumbing down/add spamming the free stuff)
would turn their copy into ...

The fact that they try to give a false impression on who owns the data is a clear indication, that they no longer need to realize the value of such a collection -
that route is planed from the start.

Tbh, trying to make money from good work (and that it is, if the site works as intended) is nothing reprehensible, but to coordinate my own (team-)work, I rather rely on
local data that gets overlayed on foreign servers if they are used at all.

2 more cents, Armin