Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

A collection of constants is a structured constant and a class is not
(only) a constant - well at least to me a structured property sounds
less missleading than the name class. Why doesn't a class include
net topologies, parts etc.? - That's what a true analogon of a class
would be - actually a (sub-)schematic and it's display methods.

Why is the container function "arbitrary" - could a structured property
contain other things than simple or structured properties?

DJ Delorie wrote:
But "property" is such a nice, clean, simple building block.  Why
pollute it by adding more functionality and making it more complex?
Because then you can extend the concept without limit. It's like
"function" in mathematics. You can construct functions from
functions. But if such constructs were no longer functions, you'd
get stuck.

To abuse your analogy, our properties is like "constants" in
mathematics.  Classes would be "functions".

A property is like "width = 5" or "impedance = 50".  A class is a
collection of properties, which could include a collection of classes
or whatnot also.  Creating a single object that has to act as both a
name-value pair *and* an arbitrary container is not a good idea.