Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 17:19 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> I have to think about it, thanks!

The current status of my mind:

Having net classes in gschem would make all much easier.
We can start drawing schematics as now. Then we define a set (or load
existing) of net classes, each class can define parameters like trace
width, clearance, maximum length, maybe impedance...

First we select all nets and assign a default class.
Then we select a other class and click on all nets which should be a
member of this class (power3.3V, power5.0V, gnd, fast signals, slow
signals, sensitive analog signals, traces with maximum total
length, ...). The classes of nets can be marked by colors, we go on
until all nets have the correct class.

If we can transfer this class information into PCB and assign it to the
pins of the nets, then we do not have to care much about routing style
in PCB program. Click on a pin, and traces with correct routing style
will start drawing. Seems to be easy and fast. And the autorouter can
use all this information. (Of course we may overwrite parameters of
traces in PCB program when it is necessary.) With these net classes the
concept of virtual layers or layer groups in PCB may be obsolete. Traces
of each net class are drawn in a unique color. If we decide that copper
layer 3 is for power supply, we select that real copper layer and start
drawing traces. Nets for different voltages will get different colors
and parameters, if we have defined special net classes for each voltage
in gschem.

One more idea: Maybe we can have subnets in gschem, which connects two
pins and ensures that the pins have a maximum distance to each other. So
we can ensure that a bypass capacitor is close to its OpAmp on the PCB
board. Auto-Placer may use that information.

Best wishes,

Stefan Salewski