Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

On Aug 13, 2010, at 7:51 PM, kai-martin knaak wrote:

>> The utter failure of early
>> efforts to base AI on classification of objects should surely have taught
>> that to us.
>
> The success of mathematics and biology to conquer their vast fields with
> hierarchical classification is telltale.

Just as often it causes unnecessary controversy and balkanization of knowledge.

Why do we inflict the silly OBAFGKM classification on astronomy students? The physical variable here is simply temperature: why don't we use it? Sloppy and stupid.

Why was the recent removal of "planet" status from Pluto so controversial? Pluto's still there, with the same mass, composition, orbital elements, etc. as it had before. The classification has no meaning: changing it did nothing to change our understanding of Pluto's nature.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx