Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

Rick Collins wrote:
And what will these subnets translate into in a layout tool? How would that translation be handled in the net list? A net is a net in my designs.
.
.
.
If I really want to designate portions of a net that need to be separated by some PWB feature, I draw them as separate nets and then connect them with a "part" that is used to connect them in the layout.

That's a simpler definition of schematic and that's fine for you to use that flow,
completely separating layout from anything you consider in detail, letting
someone else or an autorouter handle that.

How would you make use of "subnets" that would be useful that you can't do with just nets?

Make definitions of trace width quickly on a schematic by select-and-add-attributes,
so an autorouter can run to completion with medium current handling traces
routed DRC close to each other and other traces.

In your work flow, English words convey duties to hired layout persons.
In my example, I only hire the autorouter.

Sounds very useful.  Especially for open hardware projects and hobbyists,
and bottom line oriented business folk.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX

PS
What I called select-and-add-attributes is an imaginary function not existing in gschem.
Yet...