Re: gEDA-user: Multiple pages

On Wednesday 18 August 2010, Oliver King-Smith wrote:
> I am under the probably incorrect impression that LtSpice is
> actually a better  than ngspice and gnucap.  What do you
> think the benefits are gnucap vs Ltspice?

Better for what?

You got that impression because somebody is promoting it and you
believe the ads.

The biggest benefit of LTspice is that people like the user
interface.  Also, it comes with a library of stuff that some
users like.

The biggest drawback of the geda/gnucap combo is that the
interface between gschem and gnucap works very badly, hence my
request for help.

Another issue with gnucap now is that there is a big difference
between the stable branch and the development branch.  Some of
the most important features are only in the development branch,
which is not the one you get with most Linux distros.

For the benchmarks I have run, Gnucap outperforms LTspice and
NGspice for medium to large circuits, sometimes by a huge
amount.  I recall one where Gnucap completed a transient
analysis in a few minutes, NGspice took about 8 hours, and I
gave up waiting for LTspice, which had produced no output after
running it overnight.  Also, Gnucap produces output along the
way, so even with a slow run you get to see something soon, but
either Spice doesn't show the user anything until it is all
done.  This is not a random difference.  I fully understand the
reasons for it.

Another benchmark, run a long time ago, comparing a predecessor
of Gnucap to an expensive commercial simulator that specializes
in power grid analysis, the predecessor of gnucap outperformed
the commercial package for power grid analysis.

Gnucap is a lot more flexible that any spice.  It has plugins
for lots of stuff, including models, measurements, simulation
languages.  You can add new (lots of stuff) without recompiling
or reinstalling.  It takes several simulation languages,
including spice, spectre and Verilog.

Gnucap has more flexibility in how you run it, for example, you
can do an AC analysis at an instant in time, such as a snapshot
from a transient analysis.  Spice only lets you do AC at
quiescent.  To see an example of where this matters, try doing
an AC analysis of a class B amplifier.

Gnucap's step control works better.  One example of where this
shows is in simulating oscillators.  Gnucap is accurate enough
to make distortion measurements on a sine wave oscillator.
Spice isn't.  Gnucap is accurate enough to properly simulate a
negative resistance oscillator with a switch, and gives a
correct waveform and correct oscillation frequency.  Either
spice gives nonsense on this circuit.

Gnucap is not Spice.  (in the same sense that Gnu's not Unix, or
that C++ is not Fortran)  Gnucap development is more focused on
moving forward than bug-for-bug compatibility with legacy
programs.

That's just a little.  But really, in free/open-source, or
anywhere, you should expect tradeoffs.  One will be better in
some ways, another better in other ways.  The question should
not be which is better, but how do we make ours better.  That's
both better than it is, and better than others.

And remember, things get better when you and we work to make
them better, and worse when you see a perceived deficiency and
run the other way, and worse when we deny the deficiencies and
keep the status quo.

The Gnucap development team is working on features for advanced
users, with the intent of eventually fully supporting Verilog-
AMS, through partnerships with some other GPL'd projects.   What
seems to be missing is the partnership with schematic and
layout.  It is in this area that help is most desperately
needed.

Gnucap/gEDA can be made to be better that LTspice (and others
too) in every way, if we choose to do so.  Let's do it.