Re: gEDA-user: Multiple pages

al davis wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 August 2010, kai-martin knaak wrote:
>>  I tend to do simulation with ltspice.
>
> You have said many times how much you love LTspice,

No I did not. I said, that I use it because using gnucap or
ngspice with gschem is such a hassle. When I last looked into
it, it took me much more time to get results with gschem/gnucap
than with ltspice. And this is while schematic capture with
ltspice is a bitch by itself. "Much more time" in this case
translated to days rather than hours.

This is the minimum set of features I feel necessary to
actually use and recommend gnucap with gschem:

1) a way to define a permanent group of symbols that shall
participate in simulation.

2) predefined signal and probe symbols

3) a fairly complete set of models for basic analog components

4) a "simulate!" button to trigger the simulation and
yield output.

The last two requirements are essential. Lack of immediately
available models is a show stopper for newbies. The models
don't have to be elaborated and can be idealized. But they
have to work with gnucap right away without manual tweaking.

The simulate-button requirement stands for a short round-trip
time. For me, simulation is all about tweaking the circuit
and watch out for the effect. It doesn't have to be an
actual button. Some kind of script or makefile run on the
*.sch file might do, too.

> Most gnucap users are not geda users.  The most active Gnucap
> users look at it as an alternative to high priced simulators
> like Spectre, Nanosim, BDA and Saber.  Not (what they consider
> to be toys) like LTspice.

Well, I am talking about usability not accuracy, speed, or
whatever the other simulators excel at. This might be a
different metric.

Do you you have some kind of vision on how gschem should
interact with gnucap?

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak