Re: gEDA-user: pcb keyboard shortcuts (and usability in general)

Bert Timmerman wrote:

> However, for designs with a large number of layers, having a non-modal
> "layers management" dialog could be a possibility te keep more screen
> space available for the drawing area.

No dialog should be modal, anyway :-)

> Parts of the contents for this "layers management" dialog already existst
> in the "Files/Preference..." pull down menu, in a dialog with two tabs
> (and another one for information).

Seems we are talking about three different needs here:

1) Layer switching during manual routing

2) Management of the properties of a single layer

3) Management of the layer stack.

Number one calls for a permanently visible interface which should be
frugal with screen estate. I think, this need is served pretty good
by the current GTK-HID layer switcher. Much better than the other
two EDA packages I know (eagle and protel).

The preference dialog tries to serve number two and number three.
I think, it would be better to but all the single layer stuff in
a dedicated dialog. A dialog that can be called with a single
click on the layer chooser.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak