Re: gEDA-user: pcb keyboard shortcuts (and usability in general)

Andrew Poelstra wrote:
This problem prompted me to suggest redoing the layer selector
entirely to clean up the code, which in turn spawned the
workspace/functional block discussion.
Since you want to do away with the radio buttons left of the layers for activating I suppose you want use left-click for activate (like Kai-Martin every 10th attempt
I inadvertently do this anyway). A means to switch visibility must be found:
once a right-click popup is assigned to the layer buttons, this would just
be one of the properties, until then, how about using right-click or middle-click?

Thinking of a way to display the extent of vias (for burried vias) a bar left of the layers showing a bronze color strip connecting the start and end layer
makes sense to me. It's similiar to a scrollbar but in reality could consist
of simple boxes with changing background color.

The active layer could be shown with the corresponding button depressed.
Cycling through visibility states can change the button background color:
   normal ................................... visible, full saturation
   darkish grey + bright text ..... greyed out
   very dark + bright text .......... invisible

Getting caught by a fixed start and end layer for vias while routing on a different
layer not in that range, it's probably practical to have a setting
'via starts at current layer' - using it may be a tradeoff between manufacturing
cost and ease of routing.
( what happens if I want via_1 from layer 2<->4 and via_2 from layer 3<->5?
ok, via_1 probably starts as blind while glueing layer 2,3,4 , 1st metalization,
then glueing layer 5 makes via_1 burried, 2nd metalization connects
layer 5 with layer 3,4 on via_2 - with multiple drilling, sounds expensive ;-)