Re: gEDA-user: gnetlist didn't catch duplicate hierarchical block

On Aug 24, 2010, at 7:07 PM, gene glick wrote:

> FYI - maybe by design?  But I accidentally named 2 hierarchical blocks with the same refdes's.  gnetlist -g drc2 didn't flag it either as a warning nor an error.  The netlist is worked out correct, nonetheless - but maybe because I don't have any similarly named components within each block.  Just good luck, in my case.
>
> Is it a bug?  Is it a feature?  Whatever - there it is.

It's a consequence of the fact that the gnetlist front end expands hierarchy before the back end (drc2 in this case) sees the data. The majority of back ends operate on a "flat" view of the design, so this keeps the common case simple.

You can turn this off, see http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Nov-2008/msg00489.html. Then you can do DRC with your hierarchical blocks as components.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx