Re: gEDA-user: Linux Desktop für gEDA

On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Josh Jordan wrote:

>    I've had the same trouble with recent ubuntu release looking like osx.
>    Debian sounds like a good alternative to ubuntu even without the window
>    manager issues.
>    Does anyone use geda on osx?  I have given osx a good try and found it
>    lacks basic features such as expanding a window to take up half the
>    screen, you have to buy an app for that!

I use gEDA on Mac OSX, it is great.
A base os that I don't have to configure, or worry about upgrades and such.
And all of the Unix goodness that I come to expect from a computer.

macports has earlier releases of gEDA, but I run from git head.  Using macports to install the dependencies.

As for dividing up the screen,  the window management is a different mind set, the maximize button is really "Make the window the optimal size" button.
When I want to have exact control of window sizes I use an application called divvy.  It has hot keys that I use to place windows where is want them.

Steve