Re: gEDA-user: Version compatibility between gschem and PCB

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:40:51AM -0400, John Hudak wrote:
>    I came across an board layout file that requires a newer version of PCB
>    than I have installed.  My version of PCB is 20091103.  If I upgrade to
>    the most recent version of PCB, will it be able to interoperate with
>    gschem 1.6.1.20100214?

The programs aren't really linked. What do you mean by "interoperate"?

In any case, the only file format change from 2007 to 2010 was to add
holes in polygons. I can't imagine gschem would know or care about this.

>    Also, a clarification of terminology for me is needed.  The PCB website
>    ([1]http://pcb.gpleda.org/) lists a number of 'snapshots'......are
>    these beta releases or are they the most recent releases for
>    distribution?

The snapshots are official releases -- at least, they are what appear
in distributions. I believe they are called as such because we ran out
of version numbers at 1.99z and haven't decided what to do about it.

>    Another related question.  I am running gschem and PCB under Ubuntu
>    10.10, Maverick Meerkat.  Are there any issues in upgrading PCB for
>    this version of Ubuntu?

Not that I know of. I have an Ubuntu 11.04 box on which pcb seems to
work. I rarely use it there, though.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net