Re: gEDA-user: Version compatibility between gschem and PCB

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:40:51 -0400
John Hudak <jjhudak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I came across an board layout file that requires a newer version of
> PCB than I have installed.  My version of PCB is 20091103.  If I
> upgrade to the most recent version of PCB, will it be able to
> interoperate with gschem 1.6.1.20100214?

I am sure that it will.  I have been running pcb git HEAD
(bleeding-edge) for a year or so, and still using the gEDA/gschem from
Ubuntu repositories.  Currently I use gschem 1.6.2 (on Ubuntu 11.04)
with pcb git HEAD and it works fine.

The gEDA file formats are stable and compatibility has been
well-maintained.

> Another related question.  I am running gschem and PCB under Ubuntu
> 10.10, Maverick Meerkat.  Are there any issues in upgrading PCB for
> this version of Ubuntu?

I doubt it.  Until a couple of months ago, I was running Ubuntu 10.04
with the latest pcb git HEAD -- no problem.

> I guess a related question is where can I find the most recent package
> release of gEDA for this version of Ubuntu.

I wonder if anyone has a Launchpad PPA for gEDA?

Regards,
Colin