gEDA-user: Task list for Symbol library creation.

   While developing Wedana project, we faced with problem of the actual
   symbol library.
   So I'd like to continue conversation started here
   [1]http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/May-2011/msg00672.html
   I read the mail list and seems following is most close to the unified
   library:
   DJ Component Databases [2]http://www.delorie.com/pcb/component-dbs.html
   Kai-Martin Knaak Essential gEDA Library
   [3]http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/essential/essential
   .html
   But I have following thouts:
   We need a library as big as possible (not just basic symbols). I'm
   ready to help to fill it, but we need process for contributors. Next
   I'll try to explain.
   Every symbol referenced in schematics by it's name, so just now this
   name is ID for symbol.
   I suggest to move all symbols under one root and place to versioning
   system (just now it could be Kai-Martins CVS, but I don't know whether
   it is possible to place there commits from other users, but we can
   create separate on github for example).
   Why we need this:
     - everybody could commit his changes.
     - VCS braches would allow gEDA developers to filter and moderate
   commits included to library release. Also we could have separate
   libraries depending some criteria: light  and heavy, GOST based etc.
   This all would be separate branch.
     - avoiding duplicates in symbol names
   So if somebody want to contribute, he need a login to VCS and commit
   his contribution. After, somebody from development, team approve it to
   corresponding branches, and we have this contribution shipped with new
   release.
   Also.
   I think two multiline attributes should be added to any symbol:
   1. "Classes". This attribute would be used to group several components.
   Search screen would treat this attributes as _virtual_ folders (on fs
   it would be still plain structure).
   E.g. we have two symbols:
   diode.sym
   Classes=diodes, basic
   transistor.sym
   Classes=transistors, basic
   diode.sym symbols could be found as following:
   diodes/diode.sym
   diodes/basic/diode.sym
   basic/diodes/diode.sym
   2. "footprints" a list of possible footprints available for symbol,
   thus user can just select it from dropdown list (or enter manual)
   What you think on this?
   Regards,
   Pavlo Taranov