Re: gEDA-user: personal component library frustration-HELP/suggestions please?

> This brings up another issue I am having....As a neophyte to this tool set
> (but not to EDA tools in general), what is the deal with m4 files?

They're dynamically generated (M4 is a parser).  So, you create one M4
"template" for a, say, DIP part, and then you can ask for any DIP<N>
footprint and it generates one with the right number of pins.  In
theory.  In practice, we list all the pin counts we use, but it does
mean that all the DIP<N> footprints are one pattern, all the SOJ<N>
are one, all TQFP<N> are one, etc.