gEDA-user: personal component library frustration-HELP/suggestions please?

   I've created two directories in my home directory to store symbol files
   that I create, and another directory to store footprints I create:
   /home/jjh/project/component_symbols
   /home/jjh/project/component_footprints
   How do I modify gschem to look in my home directory for symbols AS WELL
   AS THE DEFAULT symbol directory? e.g I want my symbol directory in my
   user directory to appear in the Select Component component selection
   window.
   If you have a suggestion on how to organise this in a better way,
   please let me know, and also tell me how to implement it.
   gschem v 1.6.1.20100214
   Thanks much
   John