Re: gEDA-user: personal component library frustration-HELP/suggestions please?

   Thank you Stephen.
   When you say 'others rely on them'..Why do they rely on them?  I get
   the feeling that there is some feature or property that some ppl find
   important enough to use them (over the other libraries).
   My first attempt at creating symbols is with DJboxsym.  It was
   successful but the second two bullet points at the website made for
   more questions without answers that could possibly throw up roadblocks
   further down the road:
   1. symbols are in my "compromise' format......ummmm HOW compromised?
   What is compromised?
   2. No DRC support (use my sym2/csv2sym programs for that).  What the
   heck is DRC (not spelled out anywhere - first rule in writing a
   document that I learned in grade school was ALWAYS spell out an acronym
   the first time it is used), and now I need another special program that
   does what??? And how does it alter the route to attaining my goal??
   As an enduser, I personally don't care if it is written in perl,
   python, pascal, smalltalk, lisp, algol68 or Cray Fortran.  As a
   developer, it may be important.
   As a result, thinking that there is something 'non-native' in this
   approach, I looked for others.
   BTW, the link does not work - Wireshark informs me that the route is
   established but does not respond..time out error.
   -John

   On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Stephen Ecob
   <[1]silicon.on.inspiration@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

     Hi John,

   On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM, John Hudak <[2]jjhudak@xxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:
   >   "I always add the options "skip-m4" and "use-files" because I don't
   >   want any of the M4 generated footprints, ever. But this may be due
   >   to personal prejudice."
   >   This brings up another issue I am having....As a neophyte to this
   tool
   >   set (but not to EDA tools in general), what is the deal with m4
   >   files?   I've read through a lot of stuff in this area, dating from
   >   2003 through now, and I still don't know if m4 files are good/bad?
   >   be used/avoided?

     I'd guess the majority of the community don't use it, but there are
     certainly some who rely on it.

   >   I am attempting to put a EDA workbench together in a reasonably
   >   integrated way.  Part of this is to create a (local) big symbol
   library
   >   so that it can be used and managed.  What I don't want to do is
   grab
   >   component and footprint libraries that are old, brittle, or cause
   >   gschem or PCB to die.
   >   From my perspective, all of the inconsistent information is very
   >   confusing.  Quite simply, where is the 'best' symbol and footprint
   >   library and the best way to create compatible symbols and
   footprints?

     Sorry, there is no agreed 'best' way.  Various members of the
     community use the tools in widely varying ways.  The tools are
     flexible enough to work well for for applications ranging from AC
     power wiring looms to ASIC layout.

   >   (After going through 3 different methods of generating symbols, it
   >   seems that creating one graphically within gschem is the one least
   >   laden with holes...true?)

     I sometimes use that method, but my current work is with FPGAs and I
     find the best way for making the symbols I need is DJboxsym:
     [3]http://vivara.net/cgi-bin/djboxsym.cgi
     This tool is very convenient for my FPGA work, but when I'm working
     with BJTs, FETs, diodes and triacs I use the graphical route.
     Stephen Ecob
     Silicon On Inspiration
     Sydney Australia
     [4]www.sioi.com.au