Re: gEDA-user: Layer button backgrounds

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 23:01:30 -0700
Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 07:31:24AM +1000, Stephen Ecob wrote:
> > > Good point. ÂI do like the full color fill you show, Andrew.
> > > ÂHowever, I think we need a better way of indicating which layers
> > > are visible. Perhaps a little "X" or checkbox icon on the button?
> > > ÂI already dislike the current buttons' indication of which
> > > layers are visible (change of fill color and text color with
> > > inset or outset border). Maybe something better can be done.
> >
> > Photoshop (and also GIMP) use a small on/off icon that looks like an
> > eye to control layer visibility. This may or may not be a good way
> > to do it, but it is certainly a familiar UI to many people.
> >

> I think such a thing would look like:
> http://wpsoftware.net/andrew/dump/selector.png
>
> What do people think of this?

That looks very nice -- status is easily apparent.  I think we could
compact the layout by eliminating excess horizontal and vertical
spacing.

Why is âSignalâ bold in that image?  The bad thing about using
Bold/Normal weight for indicating status is that it changes the width
dynamically and might or might not cut off the text.

Regards,
Colin