Re: gEDA-user: Layer button backgrounds

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:48:31 +0200
"Bert Timmerman" <bert.timmerman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I think such a thing would look like:
> > http://wpsoftware.net/andrew/dump/selector.png
> >
> > What do people think of this?
>
> IMHO, the former proposal with visibilty buttons without "rectangles"
> is the improvement we are looking for, and we should exploit screen
> real estate more aggressively and maybe even go as far as truncate
> layernames to 6..8 chars.

If you shorten the layer names here, where would you even want the full
names?  I think if the user has given layers long names, it is for a
good reason.  This is about the only place the layer names are even
used, except for the exported Gerbers.  If the user wants short layer
names, he can just name his layers with short names.

I do think it could be useful to allow the font size for the layer
names to be configurable in the preferences, and allow the user to
adjust the width of the left side panel.

Regards,
Colin