Re: gEDA-user: Layer button backgrounds

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:25:06 -0700
Jared Casper <jaredcasper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >  2. Whenever you hide a layer, the selector would jump to the
> >     previously-selected layer. I haven't tried it yet, but I
> >     think that from a user's perspective that would make the
> >     visibility buttons seem independent of list selection.
> >

> This would work for hiding layers, but not making them visible.  If
> layer X is active and layer Y is invisible, how do I make layer Y
> visible without making it the active layer?  I like KMK's
> click/double-click idea if possible.

I really dislike the double-click idea.  I often need to quickly
enable/disable visibility of multiple layers, and the last thing I need
is to have to double-click each button.  I would much prefer a small
region on the button (or next to the button) that controls
active/inactive.  I like the color swatch and how it shows a small
rectangle of the layer color when the layer is hidden; if this swatch
were the show/hide toggle, that would be very slick.

Regards,
Colin