Re: gEDA-user: Layer button backgrounds

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 08:29:13AM +0200, Krzysztof KoÅciuszkiewicz wrote:
> 2011/8/18 Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx>:
>
> > Kai (and others), what do you think of this mockup?:
> >
> > http://wpsoftware.net/andrew/dump/mockup.png
>
> Looks good. It resembles GtkTreeView and that raises a question - will
> it still be possible to toggle visibility without changing the active
> layer (moving the selection)? I also like the stronger visual
> indication of currently active layer.

You're very astute ;). It looks like you can't toggle visibility
without selecting a new layer. But there are two ways around this:

  1. If we use Kai-Martin's idea of double-clicking for visibility,
     this would not be a surprise to the user.

  2. Whenever you hide a layer, the selector would jump to the
     previously-selected layer. I haven't tried it yet, but I
     think that from a user's perspective that would make the
     visibility buttons seem independent of list selection.

> To me the size of layer color indication for hidden layers is too
> small - for example its hard to tell difference between power and
> outline.
> So I would either increase the size or skip showing color for
> invisible layers at all.

Others have suggested this too. See

  http://wpsoftware.net/andrew/mockup2.png

> I assume graying out the last 4 layers has some meaning - they're not
> selectable - but that's not immediately clear by looking at the
> widget.

That is what I meant. Can you think of how to make this clear,
while still allowing the user to toggle visibility?

IMHO it would be obvious what the graying-out meant after the
first time the user tried selecting them.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net
Web:   http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew/