Re: gEDA-user: Layer button backgrounds

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:25:06AM -0700, Jared Casper wrote:
>    On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Andrew Poelstra <[1]asp11@xxxxxx>
>    wrote:
>
>     2. Whenever you hide a layer, the selector would jump to the
>
>          previously-selected layer. I haven't tried it yet, but I
>          think that from a user's perspective that would make the
>          visibility buttons seem independent of list selection.
>
>    This would work for hiding layers, but not making them visible.  If
>    layer X is active and layer Y is invisible, how do I make layer Y
>    visible without making it the active layer?  I like KMK's
>    click/double-click idea if possible.

Very possible. But you would still be unable to toggle visibility
independent of selection using the mouse. How important is this
to people? It bothers me, but only because there is no keyboard
shortcut in Gtk for toggling visibility.

My plan is that you can still toggle visibility by <Shift>-num,
without changing the active layer.

The problem with this, of course, is that it will only work with
the first 10 layers..

>    In practice I avoid moving the mouse all the way over to the layer
>    selection while doing a layout anyway, instead using my free hand on
>    the number keys to select the active layer.
>    Jared

Ditto. My primary goal here is to improve perhiphial view of what
layers are selected and visibile.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net