Re: gEDA-user: Has anyone in this group seriously used KiCAD?

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:55:31 -0400
John Hudak <jjhudak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pros/cons?  and please, no philosphy about integrated vs independent
> tools...I am interested in aspects such as what things work? what
> doesn't? user experiences such as strengths and weakness (again
> actual/functional and not philosophy)

I've not âseriouslyâ used it, but I was just today frustrated when I
tried to download and open the Maple Mini KiCad project ([1]) and my
KiCad version (from Ubuntu 11.04 repositories) says the layout and
schematic files are unrecognized types.

More specifically, trying to open the .brd file says âUnknown file
typeâ and trying to open the schematic says â<file>.sch is NOT an
EESchema file!â  See screenshot at [2].

A version incompatibility?  Maybe, but you would hope KiCad would at
least tell the user that the file is the wrong version, rather than such
cryptic errors.  User error?  Maybe, but how hard can it be to open a
board file or schematic file?

Oh another note, I like how gEDA puts its symbols and footprints in
separate files -- it is great for version control and for
browsing/searching with standard file management tools or directly on a
GitHub repository view, etc.

Regards,
Colin