Re: gEDA-user: Has anyone in this group seriously used KiCAD?

   On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Colin D Bennett <[1]colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

   On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:55:31 -0400
   John Hudak <[2]jjhudak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   > Pros/cons?  and please, no philosphy about integrated vs independent
   > tools...I am interested in aspects such as what things work? what
   > doesn't? user experiences such as strengths and weakness (again
   > actual/functional and not philosophy)

     I've not seriously used it, but I was just today frustrated when I
     tried to download and open the Maple Mini KiCad project ([1]) and my
     KiCad version (from Ubuntu 11.04 repositories) says the layout and
     schematic files are unrecognized types.
     More specifically, trying to open the .brd file says Unknown file
     type and trying to open the schematic says <file>.sch is NOT an
     EESchema file!  See screenshot at [2].
     A version incompatibility?  Maybe, but you would hope KiCad would at
     least tell the user that the file is the wrong version, rather than
     such
     cryptic errors.  User error?  Maybe, but how hard can it be to open
     board file or schematic file?
     Oh another note, I like how gEDA puts its symbols and footprints in
     separate files -- it is great for version control and for
     browsing/searching with standard file management tools or directly
     on a
     GitHub repository view, etc.
     Regards,
     Colin